Fleas are one of the major pest problems prevails in Canada and entire North America. Fleas can lead to health hazards due to their allergic nature particularly in pets. They are generally 1/8 inch long, dark brownish, wingless and are laterally flat. They mainly feed on blood and reproduce at a faster pace. We, at Hamilton Extermination Services, provide a comprehensive flea removal and extermination services in Hamilton to both residential and commercial establishments.
Facts About Fleas
- The life cycle of fleas includes four stages: egg, larva, pupa, biting adult.
- Fleas feed on the blood of humans, birds, wild and domestic animals
- They reproduce at a faster pace as female flea can lay 2,000 eggs in her entire life.
- Without a host or blood meal, a flea can live up to 100 days.
- The female flea requires 15 times her own body weight in blood daily.
- The legs of the fleas help them to jump up to 8 inches high.
- Pets attacked by fleas develop anemia, tapeworms or pruritus (severe itching).
- Pets allergic to flea saliva can suffer from itchiness and severe irritation.
- Flea comb helps in combing out the fleas.
- There are around 2,000 recognized species and subspecies of fleas.
Protecting Pets from Fleas
Even with the best care and preventive methods, it is difficult to fully protect your pets from flea attack. If you find your pet scratching or biting its body more often, fleas have established themselves on your pet. A flea comb and frequent bathing or grooming can be the effective way to prevent fleas from their bodies. Severe irritation or red patches in the coat may appear once the fleas start breeding themselves.
How to get rid of Fleas
The fleas can also establish in carpets and bedding. So, it is important to prevent fleas from these households as well for complete flea removal.
- Vacuum the carpets and furnishings where your pets sleep, walk or play to prevent fleas and eggs. Carefully clear the vacuum cleaner as fleas will still be alive.
- Beat the rugs and pet bedding outdoors
- Make sure you wash pet bedding every week at a high temperature to kill fleas.
- Place the pet beds on wooden floors
- Change the bedding, rugs, etc. carefully to avoid spreading flea eggs.
Hamilton Extermination Services endeavor to safeguard you, your pets and your home from flea attack. We offer a wide range of pest control services in Hamilton at highly competitive price.